We offer a puppy head start program with our staff of 11 workers. We have 6 adults and 6 children on staff to develop these puppies to become the best they can when they leave. A breeder has to have full time trainers in order to produce phenomenal dogs. If you train them you will be a better breeder. Also to produce excellant performing puppies. If you the breeder is not training them how can you keep producing better dogs? There is a difference between training and hunting dogs to developing better dogs. We have Jay our full time trainer plus 5 part timers.We believe at 90 to 95 days of age a pup is better prepared to go to their new home instead 7 weeks of age from Iowa Pointing Labs. This is also the opinion of Dr Ed Bailey and legendary dog trainer for the US military and British Labrador trainer Robert Milner. They will be trained with 100% of positive reinforcement. All the required vaccinations and worming will be done. Each owner has an option to pick up their new pup on the traditional 49th day or 365th day of age at Iowa Pointing Labs. The pup will automatically be entered on the 50th day into head start program. The head start program will have clicker training and other positive reinforced training and development for your young puppy. The most critical period in a dog’s life is the first 6 months. During this period a puppy is the most open to learning. This is when the pup learns the fastest, when he most readily masters new tasks and when he adapts most readily to new environments. Iowa Pointing Labs puppy head start program is designed and structured to maximize the opportunity provided by this age period. We give puppies a complete behavior and exposure base to fully prepare them to advance rapidly being just a phenomenal pet or both pet and performer in the field retrieving ducks and pointing pheasants. The cost is $600 for the 45 day program. The extra vet bill of $100 for additional vaccinations and worming. Also the rabies shot will be done if transportation is necessary. Additional fee of $50 for increased shipping and handling will be added to the $450 if the pup will be shipped on the airline. The birds are included also. If the pup stays after the 94th day you will be charged per day. The training and phenomenal care will continue.
Our puppy head start program focuses on 5 basic facets of the learning process:
1.Development of the learning process — Puppies learn and are thoroughly programmed to offer behaviors in order to “buy” rewards, such as treats or play or retrieving.
2.Development of self control — Puppies learn to inhibit and control reactive responses, and to sit quietly in scenarios of great temptation.
3. Programming of the core behavioral skills required for the pups career path. — Puppies are programmed on
(1) Calmness and steadiness in a high distraction environment. Like our kennel for example.
(2) Basic retrieving
(3) Using their nose to find birds
(4) Hunting in a 100′ x 100′ bird pen which is opened all year
(5) Retrieving in the water ( May through September months)
4.Development of desensitization and adaptation skills when faced with new and strange environments — puppies learn to experience a number of new and strange environments in order to build their adaptation and coping skills in the face of new and strange scenarios. We give puppies a great deal of exposure and desensitization in the following areas.
(2) Dog noises
(3) Pond or largest lake in Iowa. Red Rock Lake
(4) Heavy equipment noise and vibration like riding in the Kubota 1100 between fields. This is done 5-6 days a week
(5) Four wheeler and truck vehicles
(6) Multiple obstacles and terrain like the timber, kennel area and training fields
(7) Unsteady footing on a variety of surfaces and heights
(8) Children (7 of them)
(9) Dark confined spaces
(10) Groups of people
(11) tracking and finding birds in bird pen
(12) retrieving tennis balls
(13) 2015 late May a $15,000 playground system for the pups and the trainers. So they can climb and go on adventures with children.